Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Go placidly amid the noise & haste, & remember. what peace there may be in silence. ~Desiderata

We are brought into a world surrounded by noise.
So much noise, that for most of us, we live our lives not really knowing which messages come from where.
So how are we to learn to decipher the messages that come from deep within us?

We have all heard "go with your gut," but do we?
Do we even know how?

It took a very long time and quite honestly, a lot of pain and questioning, for me to learn to hear what messages were coming from deep within. 

The messages my own body was telling me.

Those messages were discounted and dismissed for years from just about everyone I shared them with, so I began to wonder,
(when you are born into a family of mental health professionals it crosses your mind a few times- "Am I crazy?"
"Is this all in my head?")

There is a  process I have found that has allowed me to shut out the noise and hear what my body is saying to me about everything I need to know.

I have found this exercise to be very helpful, and simple! 
Throughout the day, take a few moments and take 3 long breaths.
(Set a reminder on your phone if necessary to remind you)

Wherever you are, in your car, the restroom at the office, in line for coffee, just take a moment and breathe.
Breathe in through your nose, and as the air fills your lungs allow yourself to breathe in newness.

Then, as your breathe out through your mouth, let go of everything in your mind, 
for just these few moments, 
just BE.

Studies have shown that just these 3 focused breaths can realign your entire body, mind, and spirit.
So, let's start there, and begin the conversation with the complex brilliant machine that houses our very essence.

I wonder what it will tell us?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would venture to say that "we" are all ever so familiar with the phrase "mind over matter," and for most of us, ...